Thursday, July 21, 2011

Strawberries

My grandmother has a love for strawberries. Her kitchen theme is strawberries. I was asked a few years ago to make a strawberry apron with a protective layer to keep water from soaking through and getting on your clothes. Okay, no problem, atleast that is what I thought. It is not easy finding strawberry fabric. I finally found some in a flannel. I have all my materials handy and even purchase some strawberry buttons from Etsy and Hobby Lobby to decorate with on the pockets and straps or whereever.

I go through my stash of fabrics and find a nice mauve gingham to use as a backing and I even had a bit of red cotton fabric. I use the red to accent the strawberry flannel fabric in the ruffle and decide the gingham would look good too. I'm almost done. Here are some pictures. The only thing left to do is, sew on the ruffle and the straps, make the pocket and sew it on, add buttons and give it a wash and done.





see the pocket pattern


ruffle:


buttons:


I'm pretty close to finishing this. It shouldn't have taken me almost 2yrs to do this but depression has been a horrible roommate. While working on this, despite the flaws I know it has, I like it and I think I just might make me something like it for my own kitchen.

Here are a few more pics showing my furry helper while I was pinning the ruffle on. My furry helper is our rescue kitty Gwen. She's such a sweetie and always looks like she's smiling.




No comments: