Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sewing machine attachments

I have a very old sewing machine, vintage, antique, whatever you'd like to call it. This machine is made from metal, not plastic parts and is probably about 50+yrs old. I only had a couple of feet for the machine and never really paid it much mind as to the uses. I've used the button holer foot and the regular foot and that's about it. I decided I needed more attachments and went on an ebay hunt. I found some, low shank, WOOHOO! I had no problem finding numerous attachments for my brand of machine but they were all long shank and totally don't fit. My grandmother had given me some attachments for doing embroidery with my machine but they were long shank and didn't fit. No big deal really, I don't plan on doing embroidery by machine anyways. If ever I do decide to do machine type embroidery, I want a machine that is designed to do that, specifically.

I get the parts from the ebay seller and it has a little booklet with it, AWESOME! They fit my machine, doing the happy dance. Only 1 foot attachment wasn't in there that should have been but no big deal because I already have that particular foot anyways, don't need 2. I'm happy, oh so happy to finally have parts that fit my machine to make some of my sewing ever so much easier.

Looking at these new attachments I'm scratching my noodle wondering how the heck they fit on my machine, consult said 1940's looking manual and get the ahh HAH feeling. The pleating/ruffler foot looks like some alien contraption or torture device. LOL! I'm almost scared to use it, hahahahaa. I open up the booklet and begin reading and realize that some projects I have done could have been sew much easier if I had known how to use the attachments, even the few I had.

One of the projects I'm somewhat working on is going to be so much easier to do because it calls for a very small hem. I now have a rolled hem attachment that will make that much easier to do. I can now do dainty and delicate materials with nice hems.

I still have to make a duct tape dummy but with my weight currently fluctuating, I'm wondering if I should wait. I do want a nice dress dummy that has adjustable nob things all over it but that's going to cost a bit and with car problems, that'll have to wait too. Glad, I'm not having to make things for other people that would require a dress dummy. Now to just find time to sit down and play with my new attachments. I still need to finish the other arm cuff too.

No comments: